‘Tis the season for cookies and hot cocoa, so why not get the best of both worlds with these hot chocolate cookies? This cozy treat is the absolute perfect way to warm up in the winter months. With melty chocolate chunks, gooey marshmallows and a silky chocolate drizzle, these cookies just can’t be beat. Amazing on their own or paired with a cup of hot chocolate, of course! ...Because you can never have too much chocolate! Watch the video to see how it’s done + get the recipe below:
INGREDIENTS (makes approx. 24 large cookies)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks (plus some extra to melt for the drizzle)
- Mini marshmallows
- 12 large marshmallows (cut in half)
45ml Portion Scoop, Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls, Spatula, Oxo Wooden Spoon, Cookie Sheet, Cooling Rack,
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars using an electric or handheld mixer.
3. Add in eggs and vanilla.
4. Once combined, slowly add in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt).
5. Stir in chocolate chunks.
6. Chill the dough for at least an hour. This step is important and helps ensure the cookies do not spread too much while baking.
7. Once the dough is chilled, scoop approximately 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Flatten the ball of dough in your palm, place 3 mini marshmallows in the centre and then fold the edges of the cookie over, hiding the marshmallows in the centre to form a ball. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet, leaving approximately two inches in between the cookies (I usually only bake six per sheet).
8. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top each cookie off with a marshmallow half. Pop the cookies back in preheated the oven for 1 minute to soften the marshmallows.
9. Remove from the oven and gently push down on the marshmallows using the back of a spoon.
10. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. While they are cooling, melt the extra chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Once melted and smooth, transfer to a piping bag (or a small sandwich bag) and drizzle over top of the cookies.
11. After adding the drizzle and allowing them to cool for a few minutes longer on the baking sheet, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool for a few more minutes.
12. Serve warm and enjoy.